We do not currently have any openings for support staff.
Nickerson Roberts Holinski and Mercer is a full-service law firm located in south central Edmonton, with branch offices in Wainwright and Devon. We are looking to hire an Articling Student for the 2024-2025 year, with an interest in general practice.
The ideal candidate will be a smart, hard-working, and energetic self-starter with a high degree of pride in their work, a strong attention to detail, and excellent research skills.
The successful candidate will have the opportunity to:
- Receive assignments from all members of the firm and gain exposure to our firm’s broad practice base;
- Assist with research, drafting, client intakes, and all stages of files;
- Observe and participate in court applications and gain courtroom experience;
- Observe and participate in Questioning and settlement-oriented processes;
- Handle client inquiries and ‘cold call’ intakes for the firm;
- Have significant client contact and hands-on experience with file management and the day-to-day handling of appropriate files; and
- Get exposure to client billing and other administrative and business practices.
Our goal is to hire articling students who will become associates with the firm. At the conclusion of your articling year, our expectation is that you will be prepared to launch a rewarding practice in law.
Required background and skills:
- Interest in, general litigation, and general practice, including strong written advocacy skills and a readiness to build oral advocacy skills;
- Ability to work comfortably with colleagues, support staff, other lawyers, and clients of all backgrounds and personal situations;
- Comfortable with current business technology including Zoom and Webex, and willing to learn how to use new software and electronic tools on an ongoing basis.
This is an on-site/ in-person position at our office in Old Strathcona, with little to no remote work component. Salary is competitive to market. Our articling program offers a health benefit plan, payment of Law Society of Alberta and PREP course fees, and dedicated time to work on your Practice Readiness Education Program (PREP) during regular work hours.
Interested candidates should forward an application package including:
1. Cover letter, highlighting (a) areas of interest; (b) description of any roots or connection to the community, and in particular Edmonton, East-Central Alberta, or rural Alberta; and (c) experiences outside of the law or formal education, including any oilfield or farming background;
3. Undergraduate transcript (official copy) and up-to-date law school transcripts, showing current course registrations for 3L (unofficial transcripts from your student portal are acceptable); and
4. At least 1 reference letter.
Please submit your application to the attention of David B. Mercer K.C. by email to firstname.lastname@example.org, using the subject line “2024 Articling Application.” We ask for applications to be submitted on or before June 2, 2023, for consideration and interviewing during the June recruitment period as prescribed by the Law Society of Alberta. We thank all applicants for their interest and look forward to finding the perfect fit for this opportunity. Only individuals selected for interviews will be contacted.
Copyright © 2023 Nickerson Roberts Holinski Mercer - All Rights Reserved.